I love my Acer Aspire One netbook. It really is so much easier to carry around with you if you’re just gong to a meeting, or travelling and only need email, web surfing and some other small tasks.
However, the default desktop is pretty ugly. And being the sort who doesn’t like ugly, I whipped up a ‘theme’ that can be easily used to pretty up the default desktop. It’s hardly perfect, but it’s about the best that can be done with the cumbersome system the desktop uses.
Below, on the left you can see the original desktop, and on the left you can see my updated version. Click on a thumbnail to enlarge.
This is version 0.1
- Download the files to your Aspire One
- Locate the zip file you just downloaded and double click it.
- XArchiver will open. Click the Extract button. Choose a location to save to.
- Locate the files you have just extracted. It will be a folder called ‘images’.
- Press Alt+F2 to bring up a Run window. Type ‘terminal’ (no quote marks) and press enter.
- A terminal window will open. Copy and paste this into the window:
sudo thunar /usr/share/backgrounds/
and hit enter. This opens a file viewer window where you will see, among others, a folder called ‘images’.
- Right click on the ‘images’ folder and choose Rename. rename this folder to ‘images_old’ or similar. This backs up your old theme in case you want to go back to it.
- Copy the ‘images’ folder you unzipped into the folder you just opened.
- Go back to your terminal window and copy and paste:
sudo mousepad /usr/share/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
A file will open. Place a # at the start of every line. Save the file and close it.
- Close all windows and restart the computer. You will see your new desktop when the computer has finished restarting.
- These files are supplied with no kind of warranty. If it breaks your computer, it’s not my fault, etc.
- This theme does not include the application icons you can see in my screenshot. They are by the very talented David Lanham .
- As my screenshot shows, this will disable your desktop search bar. I found it pointless. If you want to keep it, miss out step 9. However, the search bar will not fit the rest of the theme. If you want to use a wallpaper that fits with the search bar, try this wallpaper , by gliph_writer in the AspireOneUser.com forum .