Journal / Where are the great music web companies?

When I was at SXSW last month I visited the Music trade show. Great, I thought. I work with bands in my day job. I love music. I’ll find out about the latest web technologies that affect me as a web designer and as a music fan.

The problem is, the music industry still doesn’t understand the web*. It is clear that the ‘Home taping is killing music’ mentality is still very much alive and well. Music companies are all too happy to jump on social networking bandwagons once the ship has sailed, and bombard us with spam. (I use the term ‘music company’ instead of ‘record company’ nowadays, as any company still int he business to make records will not be around much longer). Yet they still show no sign of wanting to sit down and actually solve their own problems. (As an aside, Matt Haughey’s article is apt for music too.)

Surely SXSW is a great place for music industry people to come and try to learn from their Interactive counterparts? Yet there was a distinct lack of good music web companies represented. In the music trade show I saw at least 3 companies trying to make money selling music-specific rip-offs of popular web services. At one booth I had a conversation with a company rep who explained their service. “Oh, so you’re a similar to service to Campaign Monitor?” was my response. “I’ve never heard of them. Our USP is that we are solely catering to the music industry”, was her reply. Are music companies so blinkered that a) they don’t know who their competition is and b) they think that being music centric will actually make them money, if they could be expanding to other markets?

When are music companies going to start looking to the web community for help, instead of calling them all thieves pirates? Where are the big hires from the web community to big music companies? God knows music could use the help. I’d like to see smart people from Google/Yahoo/wherever, who love music, being paid to apply that thinking to a ‘sinking’ industry. Remember, ‘social media expert’ is a modern name for ‘marketer’. Adding them to your arsenal is potentially a smart move but it won’t solve your problems.

Are there companies I’m missing here? Web companies which could really change the music industry? Please tell me I’m wrong. I’d like nothing more.

* I should probably mention that I am aware of a (very) few good music web services. Last.fm is one. Spotify is another. There are also lots of people doing great things with what they have, especially at small indie labels.

9 responses so far

1. Twenga

10th Apr, 2009 at 10:37 am

Nice article thanks!

2. Josephine

20th Nov, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Hello there, have you heard of Thousands 4 Surveys (just search on Google for it )? At their site you will see beceainifl information on the best way to make easy cash on the internet through responding to easy sets of questions. This made it possible for ordinary people to work from the comfort of home and thus enjoy economical freedom very fast. It might work for you too

3. Your answer was just what I needed. It’s made my day!

4. http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/

29th Apr, 2016 at 12:30 am

I’m not easily impressed. . . but that’s impressing me! :)

5. http://www.modestochirooffices.com/

1st May, 2016 at 12:49 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Ron and Linda and your families. I am sure she led a full and wonderful life. May peace be with you always. Love you. Kathy.

6. http://www.eastleighmodelsupplies.com/

6th May, 2016 at 1:22 am

Wow Angie, these sound like the perfect fall treat. I haven't heard of Spekulatius, I want some though. I might have to stick with the pumpkin pie spice. I have some baking to catch up on this week. Hope you have a good one.-Gina-

7. http://www.sgtotalmassage.com/

13th May, 2016 at 1:28 am

Hei vennen!Da er jeg over i WP, vært en stressende kveld! Fra og ikek skjønne noe til Ã¥ fÃ¥ ting til Ã¥ fungere ;) Hehe, detkommer seg!Blir glad for om du sletter den gamle linken i blogglisten og legger til den nye: http://www.joridkvam.com – Selv om adressen er den samme er det nÃ¥ en ny feed som samler pÃ¥ innleggene!Ha en fin kveld!KLem

8. cheap car insurance

4th Jun, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Shamnad,a) I believe that Sun already has facility, albiet small, in Bangladesh.b) The crux of your article lies in the last 2 paragraphs. I still think that S.48 would stop imports from LDCs under the guise of exemption vide S. 107A. Note that the section requires import ‘from a person who is duly authorised under the law to produce and sell of distribute the product’.So, that does not seem to me, to allow a reading that merely an authorisation from BD drug authorities could allow importation into India.A friend/ regular reader.

9. Of course, the real test is the characterisation of Watson. Nigel Bruce was a lovely man, and it’s not his fault that the writers of the Rathbone films made Watson a dodderer, but it’s not a fair depiction of the good doctor.Watson isn’t stupid, he’s just not a genius. But it’s the relationship between Holmes and Watson that is the secret of the enduring popularity, not just the mysteries.